• No Obligation
  • Save up to 35% online
Get a FREE Quote

Pet Travel Insurance FAQs

If the following FAQs don't answer your query please have a look at our General FAQs or our Pet Insurance FAQs sections.

Are any unexpected quarantine fees covered?

Yes, if despite doing all you can and following the required regulations, we will cover the fees related to unexpected quarantine.

Back to top

Can I take my pet on holiday with the family?

Yes, our Pet Travel Insurance policy allows you to take your pet abroad on holiday and bring them back into the UK without the need for quarantine.

Back to top

Does pet travel insurance cover my vet's fees whilst abroad?

Yes, emergency vet's fees are covered whilst abroad, due to illness or injury that starts/occurs whilst on holiday or in quarantine - so long as all regulations are complied with.

Back to top

If we lose our pet's documents on holiday, what can you do to help?

We will cover the cost of replacement for you if the documents get lost or stolen whilst you are on holiday.

Back to top

Is my pet covered if any family members take he/she away with them?

No, the policy only provides cover if you take your pet abroad.

Back to top

What are the legal government requirements for me taking my pet abroad on holiday?

So that your pet can travel under the Government\'s Pet Travel Scheme, there are certain conditions that must be met. For this policy to be valid you must comply with all of the conditions set down by the Government as summarised below.
E&L® highlight the required pet travel procedure as follows. In the following order you must:

  • Have your pet microchipped
  • Have your pet vaccinated
  • Get pet travel documentation
  • Tapeworm treatment (dogs only)
  • Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route

For full details of the Pet Travel Scheme and qualifying countries please contact DEFRA by phone: DEFRA Helpline: 08459 335577 or visit www.defra.gov.uk Pet Travel Scheme page: DEFRA Pet Travel
List of European Union (EU) countries and territories: EU Countries
List of Non-European Union listed countries and territories: Non E Countries

Back to top

What happens if I need to make a claim whilst abroad?

You should inform us as soon as possible regarding the claim and we will advise you of the action that needs to be taken. You should keep any receipts, invoices of any other evidence of your expenses when abroad as these may help support your claim.

Back to top

What happens if my pet becomes ill and we have to cancel our holiday?

If you have to cancel your holiday due to a pets illness, or if your pet becomes ill whilst on holiday, we will provide the necessary care and compensation for loss - so long as you have had the illness certified by a vet.

Back to top

What is the excess?

The excess is the initial amount you pay towards a claim. For pet travel policies it is £59 for all sections, except Public Liability where it is £250.

Back to top

Will you offer Public Liability cover for my pet whilst abroad?

Yes, our Pet Travel policies provide you with up to £1.5m of cover, so you need not worry should an incident occur whilst not in the UK.

Back to top