Our website uses cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue to use our website we will assume you are happy for your web browser to receive our cookies. See our cookie policy page for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

  • No Obligation
  • Save up to 35% online
Get a FREE Quote

03300 243 254

E&L® Equine Insurance offers a specially designed horse rider insurance policy, for those who enjoy riding but who may not own a horse or pony.

  • Providers of Equine Insurance for over 20 years
  • Horse insurance cover for junior riders aged between 5–17 years
  • Adult and Adult Plus policies available for riders aged between 18–65 years
  • 30% online discount when you buy rider insurance only
  • Higher benefits available for monthly policyholders

What would you do if the horse or pony that you are riding injures someone or you have an accident, how will you cope financially? The policies on offer include cover for public liability up to a maximum of £2.75 million, as well as a host of other benefits including personal accident and dental treatment. E&L's® Horse Rider Insurance also includes vet's fees so that if the horse or pony you are riding needs a vet in an emergency, you can be safe in the knowledge that you will be covered by your horse rider insurance policy.

We offer a junior policy and two adult horse riding insurance plans, leaving you to choose which level of rider insurance cover is best for you.

View our Horse Rider FAQs and the tips and advice section

Horse Rider Policy Information

  Junior (5–17 Years) Adult (18–65 Years) Adult Plus (18–65 Years)
Monthly1 Yearly Monthly1 Yearly Monthly1 Yearly
Public Liability

Legal liability to a third party for the damages and costs arising from your use of a horse.

£1.25m £1m £1.25m £1m £2.75m £2.5m
Dental Treatment

Treatment for you following a riding accident.

£1,750 £1,500 £1,750 £1,500 £2,000 £1,750
Death of Rider

Accidental death of rider.

£7,500 £5,000 £12,500 £10,000 £22,500 £20,000
Personal Accident

Accidental injury whilst riding causing (a) total loss of sight, (b) loss of two or more limbs or (c) deafness in both ears.

£12,500 £10,000 £12,500 £10,000 £22,500 £20,000
Saddlery and Tack

Fire, accidental damage or theft following forcible or violent entry to a locked private building. Single item limit £500.

£1,250 £1,000 £1,750 £1,500 £2,000 £1,750
Permanent Total Disablement

Cover after a riding accident if no claims are made under the personal accident section.

£12,500 £10,000 £12,500 £10,000 £22,500 £20,000
School Fees

Cost of fees for missed private schooling as a result of a riding accident.

£3,000 £2,750
Vet's Fees

If you have an accident while riding and you need a vet in emergency.

£1,000 £750 £1,250 £1,000 £1,750 £1,500
Custodial Liability *

If the horse you are using is destroyed for humane reasons following an accident in which you are legally liable.

£1,500 £1,250 £2,500 £2,250 £3,500 £3,250

* Market Value up to


The excess is the amount you pay towards a claim. It is £60 on Custodial Liability section, £109 for Vet's Fees and Saddlery & Tack sections and £160 for Public Liability section. There is no excess on the other sections of cover.

1. Lunar monthly policy (more information)

Policy Enhancements - all FREE for the first year

1. Legal helpline and Legal fees

Legal helpline: All our customers can benefit from telephone advice from our Company Solicitor up to the value of £5000 on any domestic legal problem. This service is available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (exc. Bank Holidays).
Legal fees: If you are prosecuted in relation to your insured [bird, horse, caravan etc.], we will provide £5,000 per year (excluding fines) in settlement of your defence costs in accordance with our Policy Enhancement guidelines (see link below).

2. Premium waiver & payout for Death or Permanent Disablement

Premium waiver: Should you become unemployed, unable to work or hospitalised due to an accident, become disabled or die following an accident we will pay a lump sum to help cover your premiums in line with our Policy Enhancement guidelines (see link below).
In the event that the policyholder dies we will pay a lump sum to family members in accordance with our Policy Enhancement guidelines (see link below).

The following discounts are available on E&L® Horse Rider Insurance:

  • 30% online discount

The total maximum discount per policy is 30%.

Introductory discounts provided only apply to new policies taken out online.

To be eligible for E&L® Horse Rider Insurance the following conditions must be met:

  • The policyholder is a UK resident aged over 18 years (if you are insuring a junior, a parent or guardian must take out the policy)

Please see the Horse Rider Insurance Policy Wording for full eligibility criteria.

Policy Summary

The policy summary gives an overview of the benefits our horse rider insurance provides

Horse Rider Insurance Policy Summary

Policy Wording

The policy wording outlines full details of our horse rider insurance terms and conditions.

Horse Rider Insurance Policy Wording

To view the above PDFs Adobe Reader must be installed.

Register a Claim

Several of our claim forms are available to download online in PDF format. After completing the form you will be provided with a download link to your requested claim form which you can simply print out, fill in and either fax or post to us.

To complete the form please click here

View our Testimonials pages.